Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Day 68 - Paris to Zermatt

Got up at 7, determined to make the 8:40 train from Paris to Geneva and then from there to see the Matterhorn. It was a spur of the moment decision to go, but i really have nothing but time and have wanted to go to Zermatt ever since i saw Matt (Moore) and Geoff's (Matthews) pics from their trip a couple years ago. At the time i thought it looked like one fo the nicest places ever and had to go see for myself while have the chance. Would be a long, long ride there, but i was hoping worth it.

I was an idot though and hadn't packed so it took awhile to get moving, woke up everybody in my hostel dorm room banging around in the dark, and for the 3rd day in a row didn't get a chance to shower. Class act. I finally got on the road and rushed out to the subway station and then under the city to the Lyons station.

I got there with time to spare, only to see utter madness inside the station. . Just happend that my big travel day decided to coincide witha one day train strike by the lazy French.

Awesome!

Luckily though not all trains were stopped, but only about 1 in 5 regular trains were running, meaning I couldn't get out of Paris until 10:30. So that whole getting up early, rushing out the door thing was for nothing. I'm sure the people in my room would be happy to hear that. And with the way my body felt after last nights festivities, a couple more hours of sleep could have done me a world of good.

So with two hours to kill i went off in search of breakie and eventually found a place to have a coffee and omelette at a somwhat reasonable price.

Two hours later i was tucked in my seat on the train and off for the land of tunnel cheese!

The ride was great. Really nice train and some of the most amazing views, especially as we got closer and closer to Switzerland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home